Grilled Spiced Pork Tenderloins
with Apple Onion Jam
- 1 quart plus 1 cup apple juice
- ½ cup kosher salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 4 small bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Apple Onion Jam
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 ½ cups finely diced yellow onions (about 2 medium onions)
- 3 cups tart apples, peeled and finely diced (about 2 large apples)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 5 each sprigs thyme
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground caraway
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 ½ quarts Pork Brine (see recipe)
- 2 (1 ½ pound) Tyson® pork loins
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Caraway Rub
(see recipe), divided
- 2 cups Apple Onion Jam (see recipe)
Make Pork Brine
- In a large pot or lidded container, whisk together the apple juice, salt and sugar until dissolved.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and refrigerate 24 hours before using.
Make Apple Onion Jam
- In a 3-quart, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat add oil and onions. Sauté the onions until they begin to caramelize (about 7 minutes).
- Add all the remaining ingredients, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook 15 minutes, or until the apples are tender and mash easily with a fork.
- Remove from the heat, uncover, and let the jam cool completely to room temperature. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use. (NOTE: The jam will keep, refrigerated, for 5 days.)
- Strain the brine and discard the solids.
- Place the pork loins in a lidded container and pour enough strained brine over to cover.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours.
Prepare Caraway Rub
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Combine the butter and 1 teaspoon Caraway Rub in a bowl.
- Remove the loins from the brine and pat it dry with paper towels. Discard the brine.
- Microwave the butter mixture for 30 seconds to melt and brush it on all sides of the pork loins. Dust the loin on all sides with 3 tablespoons Caraway Rub.
- Let the tenderloin sit 30 minutes at room temperature before cooking.
- Heat a grill to 400°F using a 2-Zone setup.
- Place the seasoned pork loins on the hot side of the grill and cook 10 minutes, turning the loins frequently to evenly brown all sides.
- Move the loins to the cool side of the grill, and continue to cook 10 minutes, or until a meat thermometer placed in the thickest part of the loins reads an internal temperature of 140°F.
- Remove the loins from the heat and let it rest 10 minutes before slicing.
To Serve: Slice and serve warm with warmed Apple Onion Jam.
About the chef:
Tuffy Stone is an American chef who has competed on the barbecue circuit since 2004. His classical French culinary training and obsession with precision have earned him the nickname “The Professor.”